When I was in my sophomore year of college, a couple of friends from my part-time job went to see this elderly psychic. He spent a good half-hour or more telling a girl from our group everything that she had going on, from her professional life to her financial turmoil to her current and future lovelife. When he finally got to me, he studied my palm for few seconds, looked at me, then looked at my palm again, then said, "There's nothing I can tell you, because your life hasn't started yet."
I often look back at that moment with mixed thoughts. I'm not so naive as I was back then, but even though I realize he could've been just one of those hacks who had no idea what he was talking about (although my friend said he was dead-on about most of the stuff he said about her), what he said still echoes in my head. And everytime I think, How about now? Has my life started now?
I like to think that it has. After all, it's been a decade since I graduated from college. Four jobs and three failed relationships after, I have been through a lot of rough patches and have had my share of highs. I have had my share of disappointments too, a fraction of them at myself. I had some grand designs when I left high school, plans that should've been executed immediately after I got a college degree, plans with concrete and tangible results. Results, which, sadly, I only see a small fraction of.
What happened to me? I left college with an information technology degree.
As I analyze myself and my life, I am not so happy with some past events in my life, but I am happy where some of these events have brought me. For the first time in many years, things are finally under my control, and it feels good.
Friday, May 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment